A court will on Wednesday hand down its decision in the trial of France’s justice minister, accused of a conflict of interest in a case that has embarrassed President Emmanuel Macron’s government.

Issued on: Modified:

2 min

French Justice Minister Eric Dupond-Moretti attends a session of questions to the government at the National Assembly in Paris on November 28, 2023.
French Justice Minister Eric Dupond-Moretti attends a session of questions to the government at the National Assembly in Paris on November 28, 2023. © Ludovic Marin, AFP

Eric Dupond-Moretti, a pugnacious former star defence lawyer, was in 2021 charged with misusing his position to settle scores with opponents from his legal career.

He is the first sitting French justice minister to stand trial. He is being tried by the Court of Justice of the Republic (CJR), whose sole remit is to judge incumbent or former ministers for offences committed while in office.

Dupond-Moretti has stirred controversy as a minister, including for allegedly sexist remarks towards women reporters and for an offensive hand gesture during a parliamentary debate.

Read moreFrench feminists criticise choice of justice, interior ministers over sexism and rape claims

His trial relates to administrative inquiries on the minister’s watch into three judges.

The three judges had ordered police in 2014 to examine the phone records of dozens of lawyers and magistrates, including Dupond-Moretti, as part of an investigation into former president Nicolas Sarkozy.

The judiciary has accused Dupond-Moretti, who also ordered a fourth judge to be investigated in an unrelated case, of a witch hunt, while the minister retorted that his accusers were “biased”.

“For me and my loved ones this trial is an infamy,” Dupond-Moretti said at the start of proceedings earlier this month.

One of the minister’s lawyers, Remi Lorrain, said his client “did not take revenge”, calling for Dupond-Moretti to be cleared of all charges.

Macron and Prime Minister Elisabeth Borne have supported Dupond-Moretti throughout the case.

But when asked whether Dupond-Moretti would have to resign if convicted, Borne said there was a “clear rule”, which has been interpreted as meaning that he would have to go.

Technically, Dupond-Moretti could face up to five years in prison, a fine of up to 500,000 euros (around $547,000) and a ban from holding public office.

But the prosecutor — while saying that Dupond-Moretti had “crossed lines that he never should have crossed” — recommended a one-year suspended prison sentence for the 62-year-old.

The CJR, which is often criticised for being soft on government members, is made up of three magistrates and 12 members of parliament.

Around 20 witnesses were summoned to testify in the case, including ex-prime minister Jean Castex and former high court chief prosecutor Francois Molins.

(FRANCE 24 with AFP)

Read more on related topics: